Smoke and carbon monoxide found at Lakeville school after burner malfunction

Dec 22, 2023

LAKEVILLE — At around 5 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 22, the Lakeville Fire Department received a fire alarm from the Assawompset Elementary School. When the fire department arrived at the school, they found smoke and “high levels of carbon monoxide,” according to a Facebook post from the fire department. The fire alarm was due to a “burner malfunction,” the post stated.

The fire department then ventilated the building and was able to remove the smoke and carbon monoxide before students arrived, the post said. The heating equipment inside the building was initially disabled, but heating was then restored after the incident, the post continued.

The department continued to monitor the air inside the building “out of an abundance of caution.” Freetown-Lakeville Regional School District officials collaborated with the firefighters throughout the process to ensure the safety of the building, the post said.

Fire Chief Michael O’Brien praised the Lakeville Fire Department firefighters for their work on Friday, and said that "the crew hustled to make sure the building was safe and ready for the school day,” according to the post.