Cobras second season win makes a statement, coach says

Jun 23, 2024

MIDDLEBORO — The Middleboro Cobras went into the second game of the season feeling secure, and their 49-8 win against the Worcester Wildcats showed they had every reason to.

“We’re extremely confident going into this week,” said Cobras Head Coach Tim Grew before kickoff. Middleboro’s semi-professional football team faced off against the Worcester Wildcats at Battis Field in Middleboro on Saturday, June 22.  

“We’re looking to make a statement and prove that we’re the best team in this league this year” said Grew. 

Players like defensive end Justin Stevens also went into the game ready to perform. “I feel like we’re going to lay down the rules on defense because that’s what Cobras do. It should be a good game.”

The Cobras played well in all aspects: offensively, defensively and on special teams, said Grew after the game. By half time, the Middleboro team had a substantial 21-0 lead.

Plays made during the third and fourth quarter kept the scoreboard turning over and gave fans ample opportunities to cheer. 

One of those plays occurred when wide receiver Roger Dillingham scored a touchdown by walking over the line unobstructed. 

Dillingham attributed the move to the chemistry he has with quarterback Tedaro France. “As soon as I see him scramble, I know what to do.” 

The play happened so quickly that the Wildcats weren’t able to respond, leaving Dillingham time to walk the ball over line untouched.  

Even after the Wildcats scored their one and only touchdown in the third quarter, bringing the score to 35-8, the Cobras came right back with another touchdown scored off the kick return. 

The touchdown was Dillingham’s second in the game. 

In the fourth quarter, Cobras 280-pound fullback George Lampros stunned the crowd when he ran the ball into the endzone. 

But the Cobras had rehearsed the play during practice earlier in the week and Lampros took advantage of an opportunity.

“I kind of figured, fullbacks don’t get on the field that much and I got to make the most of it. I just got the ball, was patient, waited for the hole to open up and just took off as far as I could,” he said. 

“This was a team win,” he shared after the game. “I wouldn’t have been able to [score that touchdown] if the guys in front of me weren’t driving [the other players] back.”

During an upbeat post-game huddle, Grew assured players that they had made a statement. 

“I think we just put the whole league on notice that we’re not messing around this year,” he said after the huddle had dispersed. 

The night left Dillingham with an appetite for more. When asked how he would describe the game, he said “too easy,” before strolling off the field.