Driver released on bail after four-car crash

Jan 23, 2024

LAKEVILLE — A Lakeville man was released on bail along with several conditions, after being charged with vehicular homicide following a four-car crash on Friday, Jan. 19 that killed another Lakeville resident and injured others.

Police responded to the crash on Main Street near Elliot Farm around 5:30 p.m. and declared Lakeville resident Richard Reed, 75, dead at the scene.

David DeLorenzo, 73, who drove a Hyundai Santa Fe that was involved in the crash, was charged with vehicular homicide as well as operating under the influence of liquor, speeding, and a marked lanes violation.

DeLorenzo was arraigned on Monday, Jan. 22. He was released on $1,000 bail with conditions that included a curfew and stipulations that he refrain from driving. 

Reed was a passenger in a Toyota Camry. The other two vehicles involved in the crash were an Audi S4 and a Chevrolet Silverado.

According to police reports, immediately after the crash there was a “very large debris field” at the site around 197 Main St. in Lakeville.

DeLorenzo told a police officer that “the crash was due to him adjusting his boot and accidentally pressing the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal,” according to police reports. 

That then caused the vehicle to accelerate, cross over to the “oncoming lane of travel” before reaching the sidewalk on the other side of the road and colliding with a mailbox.

After hitting the mailbox, the vehicle then “veered back into the oncoming westbound lane of travel” where the Santa Fe driven by DeLorenzo collided with another vehicle.

The Santa Fe then made “a complete 180-degree spin” after the collision before stopping in the “westbound lane of travel,” according to police reports. The vehicle that was hit by the Santa Fe also spun ‘into the oncoming eastbound lane of travel.”

Then, both vehicles were each hit by an additional vehicle, police said.

According to the police report, DeLorenzo told police, “I can’t drink for s***. My wife left for San Francisco and I said, well I’m going to the Back Nine. I had a shot of booze and a beer, and then came out of there and went, I’m going home. But other than that, I don’t give a f***.”

According to the police reports, an officer found “a receipt from the Back Nine for two alcoholic beverages” in DeLorenzo’s belongings.

DeLorenzo also told police,  “it was me, it was me who made the mistakes,” according to one of the police reports.

DeLorenzo was taken to Good Samaritan Medical Center in Brockton, and then charged upon his release.

One man received minor medical treatment at the location of the crash and a woman was transported to St. Luke's Hospital in New Bedford with non-life-threatening injuries. Another woman was also taken to St. Luke's Hospital in New Bedford for "injuries that were believed to be serious," according to the Lakeville Fire Department.

After the crash, Main Street was closed to the public but has since reopened.

According to the Lakeville Fire Department, “Multiple patients required treatment and hydraulic tools (jaws of life) were needed to remove victims from one vehicle.”